We do not use pictures from our classes at SAFE Alliance in order to protect clients. The photo above are of mindfulness jars made in one of our youth yoga and mindful art classes at the children’s shelter.
We teach Trauma-Informed Yoga and Mindful Art classes for teens, tweens, families and preschoolers at SAFE Alliance. We offer developmentally appropriate yoga classes that take into account the trauma that they have experienced. Our yoga classes provide an alternative support and enrichment service, aimed at creating a safe and nurturing environment for children and parents to impart skills that empower them to facilitate their own healing, mindfulness, greater self-awareness, and movement after they leave SAFE’s care. These yoga classes differ from a regular yoga class in many ways, and all volunteers and teachers receive specialized training.
How does your gift impact the community?
- Opportunity for healthy attachment through an authentic shared experience.
- A study conducted by the Trauma Center at Justice Resource Institute found that a regular trauma-informed yoga practice reduced the participants’ symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder by 30%.
- Supports rediscovering the mind-body connection that is often lacking for those that have experienced trauma, bridging the gap between living in past abuse and living in the present moment.
- Empowers children and parents by giving them the tools to stay safe and healthy in their lives beyond the shelter!
- Creates an opportunity for children and families to thrive in a safe, comfortable, creative and supportive environment.
- Helps reduce the amount of deaths caused by violence.
- Restores relationships which is central to supporting the well-being of a community as a whole.